Wednesday, June 2, 2010




If they play it…. You will come

There is something so fantastically fantastic about little league baseball. It is in my opinion, the heartbeat of childhood. I lived it once myself, a lefty by fate, a baseball player… well not too much. Oh, I wanted to be, believe you me. I had the swing but not the power. I had the eagerness yet not the talent. My best friend and rival across the street was better than I. She could throw a ball faster than any girl I’d seen. Hard fast, relentless. The green eyed monster for the first time in my life emerged, and it wasn’t over shoes and boys….it was over baseball.

A few weeks ago my son Samuel ( my baby ) played what I knew to be his last game. Last last game, as in “ Mom, I don’t want to play baseball anymore, I want to play soccer!!”.

I stood and watched this game nearing the end, Samuel up to bat. ‘How can I say goodbye to this’, I thought to myself?? The pain of letting that final memory go was so horrible, I wondered if it was obviously visible to others.

By the end of the game I wanted to burst out into tears, but instead I contained myself, walked over with the others, and made the tunnel. Children were running through joyfully, smiles on their faces, then my son ran past me smiling at me… I just stood there and took it all in…. it was almost too much.

It is my most precious baseball memory yet.

So Au Revoir old friend, until me meet again if I should ever be so blessed as to have grandchildren who play baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment